Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Reflections on Caravan for Democracy

By Quanshay Henderson, Morgan State University

It has been a little over a week since I have been in Israel, and yet a part of me feels like I’m still there. I’m not sure why this is the case, but I don’t mind it at all. My experience there has taught me the remarkable power of hope and perseverance. A country composed primarily of swamp lands and deserts was able to develop into one of the leading entrepreneurial economies in the world! And I was, given the opportunity to experience the nation of Israel with my own eyes. A little more than half way through the trip, I realized that the story of Israel was the story of me. I am a girl of humble beginnings, but I know that this certainly does not determine my future or the future of others whose beginnings seem dim. The story of Israel says that there is hope no matter how unpromising something appears to be. I have taken that spirit of hope back with me to help make my campus and community a better place. My heart trusts that I will return to Israel someday, and I cannot wait to see how much the country has grown since my last visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment